“Criminal Minds” star Thomas Gibson has taken to Twitter to address his exit from the long-running CBS series. Gibson was fired from “Criminal Minds” on Aug. 12 after the actor allegedly kicked a producer during an altercation on set. He had previously been suspended while producer ABC Studios conducted an internal review into the incident.
Gibson joined Twitter on Tuesday to discuss his dismissal from the show, on which he had starred since its premiere in 2005. In his first tweet, Gibson wrote, “I wish I could thank each of you for your friendship and support. I love ‘Criminal Minds,’ and I’m disappointed by what’s happened.” The actor said that he joined the social media service to “stay connected” and “talk directly” with his fans, posting a series of messages on Tuesday afternoon.
Although Gibson’s Twitter account is currently unverified, Variety has confirmed with the actor’s reps that it is his official account.
Sources tell that the events leading up to Gibson’s suspension and eventual dismissal were reportedly the latest in a string of incidents, including one confrontation in 2010 in which Gibson allegedly shoved “Criminal Minds” assistant director Ian Woolf during a late-night location shoot.
Gibson’s character, Aaron Hotchner, is expected to appear in two episodes of the upcoming season, which premieres Sept. 28, but the actor will not return to film any further episodes. In a joint statement issued Friday, CBS and ABC Studios said, “Thomas Gibson has been dismissed from ‘Criminal Minds.’ Creative details for how the character’s exit will be addressed in the show will be announced at a later date.”
Gibson issued his own statement, expressing his gratitude to his fans: “I love ‘Criminal Minds’ and have put my heart and soul into it for the last twelve years. I had hoped to see it through to the end, but that won’t be possible now. I would just like to say thank you to the writers, producers, actors, our amazing crew, and, most importantly, the best fans that a show could ever hope to have.”